Monday, August 27, 2012

  Well, here goes nothing - my first foray into the world of blogging.  As a life long writer of both fiction and non-fiction, you would think this would come more easily for me.  Alas, things like this have always been my downfall.  I suppose the topic I'm already on wouldn't be a bad one to start with - me as a writer.

  As cliche as it may sound, I've been writing as long as I can remember.  Pretty much since I learned to.  As a kid, it was a way of bringing the people in my mind, my imaginary friends, in to reality.  As a teenager, it was an escape.  I could create my own worlds, worlds that I usually preferred over the real one.  Over the years, my stories became more and more romance based.  Historical fiction became a favorite of mine to read, and that naturally bled over in to my own work.  In time, romance turned to erotica, though looking back it was all fairly tame.  Then I discovered BDSM, and a whole new world of literary possibilities opened up to me.  Writing became a way to explore new ideas, new fetishes, new fantasies, whether they were based on my personal feelings or research and input from others.


  When I started in on my first piece of BDSM erotica, I had no intention of publishing.  It was an outlet for frustrations, an escape from a painful break-up and a better remedy for bordem than anything on TV during my waking hours.  I worked largely third shift at the time and late night TV when you don't have cable is usually pretty awful.  Occasionally I would let someone I trusted read everything I had up to that point, just to see what they thought and to get ideas.  Eventually, I began putting it up a chapter or two at a time, amusingly enough on a blog.  Needless to say, that was all I ever put on it.  Then, one day, someone asked if I had ever considered publishing the piece when it was finished.  I laughed it off.  I'd never even thought about giving it a concrete ending, figured I would just keep writing it until I lost interest or it came to a natural conclusion.  But the seed of the idea had been planted, and as I kept working on it the idea of being published grew.  So I caved in and starting doing some research.


  As is probably the case for many burgeoning authors, I quickly became discouraged.  The traditional publishers had requirements I couldn't meet.  I turned to ebook publishers, but most required a romantic sub-plot, something my piece didn't have at all at the time.  With it already fairly long, I had no desire to go back and attempt to work one in.  Aside from being time consuming, it would have seemed forced.  I gave up and went back to simply writing for myself, and the friends who had come to look forward to getting the next chapter.  It was several years before I began contemplating publication again.


  By then I had discovered FetLife, joined a handful of writing groups and even shared pieces of my story.  Again, someone mentioned having it published.  That's when I realized that I finally found the right forum to get input from other writers on which publishers were good to work with, and would take something like what I had written.  After years of thinking about it, I found a publisher that would take my work and shortly my first book was released.  With that, what had started as something just for me became the start of a published series.


  Now a new series is beginning, practically writing itself.  I can hardly wait to see where it takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment